What did I learn, sitting on the couch this afternoon?
- I don’t like watching footy late Sunday afternoon – it is such a “nothing” time. As an older supporter, I yearn for the ye olden thymes of yore. Saturday afternoon footy is still the best.
- The commentators are probably right. We have 6 or so “A” graders and not much else. There is not a lot of young talent coming up. Without a clever game plan – the one Ross Lyon surprised the comp with in 2009 is a good example – there is not going to be a lot of joy this year.
- Nick Riewoldt had a shocker. I wondered last year how much of it was him and how much was other teams focusing on him. This year I am wondering how bad that chronic knee injury really is? Nick relies heavily on running to win the ball…
- Not sure Dean Polo is going to get many games this year…
- Sam Gilbert still needs to practice his kicking – he kicks like Scotty West.
- The Saints are going to be lost when Milney retires. When he gets up and going, the team looks much better. He is definitely one of the best players I have seen. 490 goals as a small forward is an incredible achievement.
- Rhys Stanley keeps threatening to become a good player, but never seems to break through. I thought in the first half he looked half a chance to get going, but again, he went quiet. One decent game will make a big difference. I hope he does it before he gets dropped again.
- Fox Footy has no ad breaks – makes timing for snacks and drinks a bit harder to plan for!
I have the feeling it could be a longish winter for the Saints… Current thought is a finish somewhere between 7 – 11th…